Monday, October 2, 2017

Things are moving!!

Just heard from Dr. Akman's nurse that Byron's case is being presented to the surgical committee next Monday ( a required step before the surgery can be approved) and we are going to meet with the surgeon, Dr. Feldstein this week.  When Byron's case was presented in January 2017 they determined that we needed to try more pharmaceutical interventions first, before surgery was considered.  I asked if that was likely to happen this time and the nurse said, "Dr. Akman is very clear that surgery is the next step for Byron."

It is very strange to be excited about a surgery of this magnitude, but with everything that is happening right now (Byron forgot the word for "Banana" the other day) it is the best next step.

Ultimately the board did approve the surgery in March 2017, but Byron went into temporary remission so we postponed the surgery.  In March, Byron's condition was not nearly as dire.  So I might have always wondered "Did I do the right thing?"  But now we are absolutely sure.  No regrets - only looking forward.



Sweet Byron, who has lately been a very healthy guy, will be having a heart procedure called an ablation on Tuesday August 24. In February ...