Monday, August 31, 2009

Info About the Cast

Byron's cast will be put on tomorrow. Today they just took a mold. I was reading about the cast this evening in the pages of info they sent home with us. The cast will be waterproof and must be rinsed everyday. He can even swim with it on! Apparently you don't take it off to rinse it, you use a sprayer to get inside the cast, between the cast and the skin, and then let it air dry. The booklet says it takes about an hour to dry. I have to say it would drive me crazy to have a damp snug thing against my skin, even for an hour. The cast will be semi permanent i.e. it will be removed and checked once a week. Towards the end of the program it will be removed for good and he will have five days of bi-manual therapy to integrate what he has learned. Occasionally he will go on field trips. I was thinking zoo, aquarium etc. No - What they mean are places that he might go when he gets home, the mall, library, grocery store. I think that's pretty cute. They will take him swimming towards the end of the program. It does seem strange to me to leave him somewhere every day for 3 hours. That is the most I will have consistantly left him by himself. Perhaps I will grieve, or perhaps it will be a nice break!

No comments:

Post a Comment