Friday, February 20, 2015

Seizure?!

50-60% percent of children with Hemiplegia develop seizures.  The seizures usually occur in the side of the Brain that had the stroke.

We always knew Byron was at risk for seizures.  When he was about 8 months old he was tested.  He participated in a three day video EEG in Syracuse . He was hooked up to monitors and had to stay in a crib for three days.  If I thought he was having a seizure I was asked to  push a big red button marked "Seizure " (aka panic) and they would mark that time on the video and the EEG.  In the three days we were there I pushed it once but it turned out it wasn't a seizure.  Just some excessive baby eye blinking.


Fast forward to today.  Byron will be eight years old on March 28.  Today at 1:00 his school called to tell me that Byron had a fever and a stomach ache and that I should come get him as soon as possible.
I brought him home and he immediately fell asleep on the couch. 

After a while he woke up and started staring.  I thought he was just resting so I ignored it.  After about twenty minutes I came back in and he was still staring.  I couldn't see his face because his blanket was covering his mouth.  Still I thought nothing of it. Another ten minutes and I checked on him again.  His eyes were open still.  I called his name, no response.  Now I was worried.  I ran over pulled the blanket off of him and saw that his eyes were locked to the left, his left arm was twitching and he was unresponsive.  He looked like he was having a full blown seizure.  And it must have been going on for over 30 minutes.

I called 911.  With Byron's history the local hospital suggested he be transferred via helicopter to Westchester Medical.  Bob and I were invited to drive there while Byron would be taken via the helicopter.  When we left Byron  was still unresponsive. This was almost 60 minutes now.

I know if someone is having a stroke, time is of the essence.  Was Byron having a stroke or a seizure or both?  No idea nor did they.  His locked eyes were concerning.

Bob and I drove to Westchester mostly in silence, except for my occasional sobs. I was experiencing a feeling I have never had in my life.  I have never really grieved per se, even in the face of the death of a parent or friend.  I think of death as a meaningful transition and God's will.  I have cried but not what I would call grieving; that heaving, aching wailing.  This was different. My feelings  were deep and visceral and a pain perhaps only a mother can feel.  I was a mess.  Whenever I spoke to anyone on the phone the intense pain and tears and grief would come again.

When we arrived at the hospital we saw our son's helicopter on the helipad.  Such a strange feeling, seeing the pilot, a stranger to us,  closing up the craft after carrying our precious personal cargo.


We knew Byron must be inside the hospital so we kept walking.  I readied myself for whatever we might find.  

What we found was an incredible joyous relief.  On the way to the hospital I asked everyone I talked to to pray, send good wishes, love, blessings.  My friends and family are really good at this.  THANK YOU! And all of their good wishes bore great fruit. As always, Grace abounds. 

Byron was awake!  Conscious, breathing, grouchy and really happy to see us.

Almost immediately after we arrived he fell asleep.


Now it was on to tests to see what caused all this - CAT scan




Lots of blood tests, doctors visits and on and on.  But boy was I happy to have Byron back.  It turns out Byron tested positive for Flu so that may be a factor as well.

Our friend Elizabeth came and brought some comfort food.  We found a hotel for Bob and I am doing the first night shift.  Tomorrow an EEG, more tests and a consult with an expert Pediatric Neurologist.  

By Midnight they said they would have a room for us.  I'm writing this while sitting on a spare gurney.  

Before Byron fell asleep he had this face.  


Back to his charming self.  What a day!!
















No comments:

Post a Comment