Thursday, September 10, 2009

More Progress

Yesterday I became the owner of an apple laptop. For Byron fans, please indulge a little computer digression… I have spent the last 1 ½ days adjusting to life without Microsoft. My transition to the new Mac book Pro has not been as seamless as I might have liked but I’m making progress. For example there’s no easy right click on the touchpad – what’s up with that? The tech support at Apple is excellent and they have walked me through setting up e-mails, iphone , moving files over etc. I think they take a special glee in bringing a die hard pc user over to their side. I am writing this on the mac so …so far so good.

I finally learned that to right click you simply press and click with two fingers instead of one. Hmmm.. very neat. For you iphone users, turns out one of the coolest things about the Macpro is the touch pad. It works just like the iphone screen, you can pinch your fingers to zoom in and expand your fingers to move out, rotate pictures by rotating your fingers etc. Very cool.

There are still great things about the PC. I had the chance to beta test the new Windows 7. That is an excellent system. I will sorely miss the gadgets on the desktop, especially the easy Facebook viewer. Mac has widgets but they disappear and reappear with an f12 click. Not too happy about that but I have heard that there is a workaround to make at least one of them constant. I’m too new to be a mac hacker just yet though.

10 DAYS IN THE CAST AND GOING STRONG Byron is gaining so much strength in his left arm and hand. See these two videos side by side of Byron pushing down on the popcorn ladybug toy. At first he couldn’t make the popcorn pop, now he really can!


He is also gaining better control. He has more control and persistence in this video of the sticky ball game. Video one a few days ago, video two - today.


The blue tape is kineseotape. It provides stimulation, support, and a gentle nudge for the muscles to move in a certain way. When we arrived at Kennedy Krieger they asked us if we were ok with taping and we said yes. Byron has been receiving Kinesiotape from his home PT since he was 4 months old.

Bob is taking him in to Kennedy Krieger tomorrow. Byron loves it when Bob is there when he gets out. Mom get’s the day off – yeah!

2 comments:

  1. Hello Denise. I am Mary Buehler's mother and she shared this blog with me so I can SEE just how cute and special Byron is and follow his progress with you. He is a beautiful boy.
    Diana Buehler, Ridgway, PA

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! The progress is fantastic!!! So great to see these vids.

    Welcome to Mac, btw!

    Walker

    ReplyDelete