Friday, September 4, 2009

Long Weekend

Byron is off from Kennedy Krieger until Tuesday. They sent us home with a weekend schedule to make sure he doesn't backslide. Every day with his left hand he is supposed to:

1) Pick up eight golf ball size balls and put them in a bag
2) Pick up a soccer size ball with both arms, keeping his arms to the side of the ball instead of on top.
3) Pick up and eat 5 pieces of finger food.
4) Crawl down a long hallway.
5) Point to five pictures in a book using his index finger.

Whew.... And they gave us a sheet to take notes on each day about each activity. I don't know where we are going to get all those balls! When I saw this list I immediately asked the therapist "Can he do any of these things?" (Kind of makes the morning success a little puny). She assured us that he was working on all these things, and that while he couldn't do them perfectly yet, the purpose was to keep him working on them.

Ok - so we're on!

We had a little hiccup today regarding his vaccinations. Apparently he is missing his mumps vaccine. Byron's pediatrician is very liberal when it comes to vaccines, and split up his MMR into M, M and R to be given separately over a few months. The problem was that they ran out of the separate M (mumps) before he could get it and the doctor may not be able to get more for some time. He assured me that this wouldn’t be a problem and we could just wait until Byron’s next full MMR when he is older. Not so fast…Kennedy Krieger has a policy that all kids must be fully vaccinated. When the nurse pulled me aside this morning to give me this news, my mind immediately overreacted. “That’s it! Now we have to go home. Poor me. Poor Byron. etc. etc” But we worked it out, fingers crossed, that the admin here will take a fax from my Doctor stating all the why’s and wherefore’s so KKI can have the record in their file. I’ll find out on Tuesday if it was accepted. If not, well, I guess the next step is the local yellow pages under “vaccinations – STAT!”

No comments:

Post a Comment